Saturday, January 24, 2015

[A True Story] How I Landed My Dream Job!

This is a true life story that happened in London. I’m surprised they have not re-enacted it in Nollywood.

Last year, a 22 year old Nigerian graduate Alfred Ajani, did something no one has ever done about getting a job!

Alfred said he'd applied for over 300 positions since getting a degree in marketing in May that year and has been unlucky. He had worked as a waiter while studying and had taken positions as an intern in the music industry in a bid to boost his job prospects. Upon graduation, he had asked friends to help him hand out his CVs, but thought they were put off by the early start. Determined to land his dream job, he decided to hand out CVs to company bosses commuting into the City of London through Waterloo Station one morning.

He stood at the entrance to the busy station holding a sign stating:

'Marketing graduate (BA Hons 2:1 Coventry Uni) Ask for CV.'

Alfred, who lives not far from the station, said: 

'I graduated in May and have been applying for jobs ever since, but it's very difficult at the moment. The only ones that have come up have not really been what I wanted; I'm interested in marketing and advertising. I realised that there are thousands of students out there using the same old methods of applying for jobs online and through recruitment agencies and so I thought I'd try something different. I got up early and went to the station. At first people just looked at me but after about 10 minutes people started stopping and talking. They said they'd never seen anything like it before and were really impressed.'

'One woman who worked in advertising took a CV and another guy ran back from his train and said he'd walked past but had started thinking and might have something for me.'

Alfred added: 'I've already had some phone calls and have got an interview booked for later today. The support was great; one man even bought me a cup of tea and told me "good luck".'

His direct approach received a warm response from commuters, with many stopping to discuss potential positions. Daily Mail reported that he was inundated with offers of interviews after taking that radical approach to job hunting,

When a photo of him giving his phone number to a passing commuter circulated on Twitter, website users started offering their support. After seeing the photo, one Twitter user wrote:

'Good on him for putting himself out there!! Time waits for no man!! Love it!!'

Another added:
'It's a good idea. I would've hired him into my business straight away if I saw him.'
                                                                                            
Olympic medallist Kelly Sotherton retweeted the photo, and motivational speaker Gavin Ingham wrote:

'He will no doubt get interviews and offers whilst others sit at home moaning. Good on him.'

Alfred Ajani started work on September 8th for recruitment firm, the Asoria Group, London. Alfred, who works as a marketing executive said;

"The director walked past me when he saw me that morning, but later got in contact through the website LinkedIn. The company said they were looking for someone with out of the box ideas and so they were keen to get me in. The job is one I wouldn't have got if I hadn't gone to the station that morning, so I advise anyone out there who is in the same position I was to think of more direct ways to speak to employers.”

His new colleagues printed T-shirts to welcome him on his first day at work.

Less than a year later, Alfred Ajani has made it…and now, he's hiring. Alfred returned to the same spot where he once stood looking for a job in August 2014, but this time he was there to advertise positions on his team. Alfred returned to the same spot on Jan. 22nd with a different sign that read

'Now, I'm hiring'

"It feels good to be putting something back and I’m hoping to take the brand to Universities over the next year,’ he told Mail Online.


The 22 year old Marketing and PR Projects Manager has been given the responsibility of looking for new employees for his company as it begins an expansion.

Congrats on reading to the end of the story; many people don't attention span long enough to read a complete page! Now, earn more compliments today by following in the trail Alfred has blazed. It can work in our environment too! So, instead of sitting down and counting your aunties and uncles that are not helping, resorting to self-pity, hiding behind self-employed on Facebook profile (while you don't really have anything doing) or moving from one church to the other for a deliverance from 'ancestral curses' and 'familial spirits', why don't be more creative about job-seeking.

Warning: If you are going to try Alfred's style in Nigeria, grow a thick skin! The bus conductors are going to come for you!

Best Wishes.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous08:51

    I'll try this in VI on Tuesday. Watch out!

    ReplyDelete

* Comments on this blog are entirely the opinion of the blog visitor(s) who post them. Real McCoy Blog shall not be liable for any harm such comment(s) might cause.
* Health tips offered on this blog are meant for information purposes, always consult your health practitioner(s) for diagnosis/treatment of health problems.