His profile inspires me; check it out and see what you think.
MR. GREGORY PETER OBI
7 Aerodrome Road, Apapa, Lagos, Nigeria
DATE & PLACE OF BIRTH: 19th July 1961,
Onitsha – Nigeria
MARITAL STATUS: Married with two children
EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS ATTENDED:
• Christ the King College, Onitsha (W.A.S.C.)
• University of Nigeria, Nsukka, (B.A.
Philosophy) - 1984
• Lagos Business School, Nigeria (Chief
• Harvard Business School, Boston, U.S.A.
(Mid to Mid Marketing)
• London School of Economics
"L.S.E" (Financial Mgt./Business Policy)
• Columbia Business School, New York U.S.A.
• Kellogg Graduate School of Management
U.S.A. (Advanced Exec. Prog.)
• Institute for Management Dev. (IMD),
Switzerland (Snr. Executive Forum)
PRESENT AND PAST POSITIONS
• GOVERNOR: ANAMBRA STATE OF NIGERIA
• VICE CHAIRMAN NIGERIA GOVERNORS'
• CHAIRMAN SOUTH-EAST GOVERNORS'
• FORMER CHAIRMAN: FIDELITY BANK PLC
• FORMER CHAIRMAN: GUARDIAN EXPRESS
MORTGAGE BANK LTD
• FORMER DIRECTOR: GUARDIAN EXPRESS
• FORMER CHAIRMAN: FUTURE VIEW
• FORMER CHAIRMAN: PAYMASTER NIGERIA
• FORMER CHAIRMAN: NEXT INTERNATIONAL
• FORMER DIRECTOR: CHAMS NIGERIA
• FORMER CHAIRMAN: DATACORP LIMITED
• FORMER DIRECTOR: CARD CENTRE
• Member – Nigerian Economic Summit
• Member – Nigerian Chartered Institute of
• Member – Common Wealth Business
• Member – West African Business
• Member – British Institute of Directors
• Member – British Nigerian Business
• Member – Nigerian South African Chamber
of Commerce (NSACC)
INTRODUCED FUNDAMENTAL CHANGES IN
1. The first Nigerian to reclaim his
Governorship mandate after three years in
2. The first Governor to come back from
impeachment through the courts, after he
was removed 6 months into his office by
reactionary forces of Anambra politics of
3. The first Governor to go for tenure
interpretation when INEC allowed elections
to take place in the State when his tenure
had not ended.
4. The first Governor to serve 2nd term both
in the new and old Anambra State, that is,
almost 40 years after creation.
5. The first serving Governor to be
appointed a Special Adviser (Finance) to the
6. The first serving Governor appointed into
the Presidential Economic Management
7. Among the first Governors to be honoured
with a National Award in 2011, when the
honour was extended to serving Governors.
8. Though only the Governor from a minority
party, but elected Vice Chairman of the
9. Though the only non-PDP Governor in the
South-East then, but elected the Chairman
of the South-East Governor's Forum.
MEMBERSHIP OF COMMITTEES
10. Federal Government Committee on
11. Federal Government Committee on
Negotiation with Labour on Subsidy
12. Federal Government Committee on Mass
13. Federal Government Committee on
Natural Resource Funds
14. National Economic Council Committee on
Power Sector Reform
15. National Economic Council Committee on
Sharing of MDGs funds
16. National Economic Council Committee on
Accurate Data on the Nigeria's Oil Import
17. Agricultural Transformation
18. Sub-Committee on Needs Analysis of
Nigeria Public Universities
19. National Economic Council Review
Committee on the presentation on the Power
ANAMBRA UNDER HIM
1. Under his tenure, Anambra State is no
longer a pariah State that was scorned and
laughed at. For the first time, Ambassadors
of such countries as USA, Britain, Russia,
European Union, South Africa, Belgium,
Israel, Dutch, Canada, Venezuela, Ghana,
among others, visited the State.
2. Many International organizations want to
identify with Anambra State.
3. Anambra is held by development partners
such as UNDP, UNICEF, World Bank,
European Union as the No.1 State
committed to reforms and development.
4. Under him, the Debt Management Office
rated Anambra as the least indebted State in
Nigeria. In spite of the wonders he is
performing in the State, he has not
borrowed money from any financial
5. Under him, the Senate of the Federal
Republic of Nigeria rated Anambra State as
the most financially stable.
6. Under him, the Federal Ministry of Works
has adjudged Anambra as having the best
network of roads in the country having
asphalted over 700 Kilometres of roads.
7. He is building roads in areas of the State
that did not have any single road before him
because of their difficult terrain, eg,
Anambra West, Anambra East and Ogbaru
8. To complement the impressive work on
road construction, he is constructing over 20
bridges across the State out of which 15
have been completed such as Odor Bridge,
Otuku Bridge, Aghomili Bridge, Ogbonabo
Bridge, Obibia Bridge, Ebenebe Bridge,
Okpu Bridge, among others.
9. He is working on over 18 medium
schemes water projects across the State.
10. Known as the Governor of many firsts,
under him, Anambra State has the first
Secretariat, first Business Parks, first stadia,
witnessing the phenomenal development of
the Permanent Site of her University, the
first Master Plans for the State's major cities
of Awka, Onitsha and Nnewi, among others.
11. He recently returned missionary schools,
taken from them since 1970 to them, with
the grant of 6 billion Naira to rehabilitate the
12. He has entered into strategic
partnership with the Churches for the
services their various institutions offer to the
State. In health, he has restored grants to
them and has made available the sum of 3
billion for them to rehabilitate their
13. Gov. Obi was the first to provide and
distribute to Anambra Schools the following:
over 13,000 desktop/laptop computers; over
120 30kva generators; internet access to
over 200 schools; over 120 buses to schools
and provided boreholes to over 300 schools.
He built classroom blocks in all the 177
communities in the State.
14. He has attracted a lot of foreign
investors to the State. Among them are
three Fortune 500 companies out of which
one of them, SABmiller, has started
15. Under him, after investing over 4 Billion
Naira in Orient petroleum, the first by
Anambra State Government, Anambra has
joined oil producing States with Orient
petroleum commencing production.
16. He is also working on over 25 active
erosion sites, some completed, others on-
going, eg, Umuchiani Erosion, Ebenebe
Erosion, Nkpor Erosion, Adazi-Nnukwu
Erosion, Utuh Erosion, Osumenyi Erosion,
17. Among his many intangible
achievements is the payment of all
outstanding pensions and gratuities in the
State since 1999. On this he has spent over
4 Billion Naira to over 4000 families that
benefitted. Today retirees in the State get
their full benefits within three months of
18. Recently, the State Teaching hospital
and College of Medicine conceived and built
by him, secured accreditation from the
Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.
His achievements are legion that an
occasion such as this would not have
enough time for us to be comprehensive on
that. In summary, we can say that he has
introduced credibility and character into
governance. When people disagree with him
in politics, it is always on account of his
insistence that the resources of the State
must be deployed prudently.